Monday, March 19, 2012

Gender Stereotypes in Country Music

There is a song that has been around since 2007 that has made every feminist shiver with anger. The song "I'm Still A Guy" by artist Brad Paisley has had enormous success, even hitting #1 on the Billboard "Hot Country Songs" list; but there are some that think it shouldn't be played on any radio station. The lyrics are very straight-forward and hard-hitting, the opening lyrics speak for themselves:

When you see a deer you see Bambi
And I see antlers up on the wall
When you see a lake you think picnic
And I see a large mouth up under that log
You're probably thinking that you're going to change me
In some ways well maybe you might
Scrub me down, dress me up but no matter what
I'm still a guy
When you see a priceless French painting
I see a drunk, naked girl
You think that riding a wild bull sounds crazy
And I'd like to give it a whirl
Well love makes a man do some things he ain't proud of
And in a weak moment I might walk your sissy dog, hold your purse at the mall
But remember, I'm still a guy
Now you see why this song is controversial. I don't intend to sound like I think Brad Paisley is a bad guy, he's just the unfortunate songwriter whose lyrics stuck out the most to me.

Paisley claims that the song is not an attack on women, rather that it's addressing society and how society tries to feminize men. I don't know if I believe that statement or not, but the bottom line is, upon listening to the song I felt offended.



No comments:

Post a Comment